Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Frazzled on Day One


Sometimes life just throws you a curve ball...and sometimes it's a really mean, nasty one. I don't usually experience these often, so when it happens I get all flustered, helpless, and utterly confused.

You all know that I started teaching my classes at the health club yesterday. The first day of many. Mondays are 'Razmataz', the crazy little kids (2-5) tumbling/yoga class. Mondays are also 'working in the kids club all the times I'm not teaching said class' and also 'helping out with kids camp all the times I'm not working in kids club'. Yes, I am a busy girl!

Well Sunday night was my preparation night...didn't want to leave anything forgotten, or god forbid, not written down on my lesson plan. I had my music burned and my lesson planned. I was pretty much ready to teach the class before I went to bed that night.

Well thank GOD for that!

Turns out there's something wrong with my alarm clock that JUST now, *insert godfather voice* on the day of my daughters wedding, decides show itself. Monday is a very important day for me! I absolutely can't afford to wake up late!

But guess what happened. My alarm didn't go off until ten minutes before I had to be at work. Yeah, AT work. That means *beep beep* at 7:20am of my 7:30am scheduled clock in time. If I were a guy, it would be slightly less overwhelmed. But alas, last time I checked, I am a girl. Bummer.

Well, at least now I have to necessary skills to join the military.

But seriously, can you IMAGINE?? Waking up on one of the most important days in your career with only ten, count em, TEN minutes to ready yourself and actually be at the front desk clocking in? I can't. I still can't believe I did it! And no, I'm not making this up...although if I were, it would be very clever because everyone likes to read about someone's crazy mishaps throughout life.

The minutes:

7:20am - look at clock, look at phone, sprint upstairs to look at other clock, run back down with an exasperated sigh.

7:21am - already putting my socks on, and...where in the heck is my phone?

oh yeah, i just looked at it. it's on the windowsill.

7:22am - brushing teeth with a renowned vigor and fury. I hate using my manual. But if i used my beloved electric toothbrush, I would be in there for the timed two minutes, which is entirely too long for a morning like today.

*approximately 30 seconds of brush time

7:23am - "MOOOOM!!!!! MAKE ME COFFEE, A SNACK, AND A TIME REWIND...TO GO!" Miraculously, (and oh how much I love this woman) she had a hot coffee, a luna bar, and some fruit (no time rewind though, damn!) put in a plastic baggy for me and into my hands by the time I left. Dear, sweet woman.

7:24am - slap a little mascara on those tired eyes, a little a this, a little a that, whabam! okay, that took waaaay too long. I still need to find my belt.

MAN I wish I kept this room cleaner...where in the world is my belt?

Oh right. In my closet. With all my other work clothes that I set out the night before. I really am brilliant sometimes.

7:25am - rushing upstairs again to find my purse, forgetting that my pajama pants are still on with my work shirt and nametag. Classy.

7:26am - leaping back down the stairs to grab my oh-so-unflattering khaki cropped shorts and belt. Whippin those suckers on in three seconds flat.

7:27am - running back upstairs with my lesson plan, cd, and yoga outfit in tow. Ready to get in the car!

(Now keep in mind, I live literally two blocks away from the club, so I'm still making good time here)

7:28am - frantically grabbing at the plastic bag my mother is handing to me - why can't I grab it? ugh! motor skills are SO overrated! - jogging out the door with the keys I just plucked off the wall.

CD-check. Lesson plan-check. Brain-check. Teeth brushed-check. Real pants on my bottom half-check. Purse-check. Check, Check, Check. Sanity-uncheck, but oh well...nobody's perfect, right?

So I run to the car, race down the two blocks, park, briskly walk into the club, and clock in at exactly 7:30am.

Phew!

And what do you know, the class went beautifully. My CD worked in their player, no crazy error messages telling me that my burning wasn't successful. The kids absolutely loved it, and the parents were pleased. Ohhh yeah. I am SO conking out and watching Gilmore Girls when I get off tonight. Probably the most hectic day of my life.

But it was worth it! I had so much fun with the kids, and I have some great new ideas that I want to try out for next time.

Hopefully next time won't end with me sitting at the computer appalled at myself, and my alarm clock, telling you a ridiculous story that you can hardly believe.

Anyways, I hope you got at least some comedic pleasure out of my story telling skills...not that I had to embellish...at all!! But still. I enjoy writing about my crazy life experiences.

Until next time, folks!
XOXO

Jourdan

2 comments:

Jessica said...

JOURDANNN

I'm such a fan. of You and your blog!! ha ha...

i love, i love, i love you.

=)

love,
Jess

Lynda Meyers said...

"Well, at least now I have to necessary skills to join the military."

Definitely one of the most amusing things I've ever heard you say (write?).

Actually, it was all hilariously funny and very well-written!!

Keep chuggin' baby!!