Monday, June 08, 2009

Rest


Things are finally on the up-and-up for Jourdan. She has a secure job (or a few), a settled family life, and trustworthy friends to call her own. She is doing just fabulous. But sometimes she feels a bit out of control...Time will only be your friend until you smash your schedule into its' mouth.

I am the most busy I've ever been! But hey, I'm fortunate I actually have things to do. It didn't used to be this way...

Oh no, I used to be the least busy person in the whole entire world! I swear. At least it feels that way. Let me tell ya, it is NOT fun to NOT have anything to do. I mean, I would find at least something to fill my time with...I was never completely bored out of my mind, but still. I am sooo glad I've been gettin' busy (in the literal sense of the term).

I just have to remember how to rest. See, I've never really had this problem. I've never been so busy that I've had to force myself to take time off from my schedule. I've never forgotten what it's like to rest. (Well I've never had a real steady job before, so that sort of explains it!) Now I'm realizing just how important it is to give yourself a break every once in a while.

"Oh yeah, but she's young" you say. Yes this is true, but youth is still human. Youth still gets tired when it's stretched too thin, or the stress becomes too much to bear.

Trust me, I know. I have classes to teach with parents and kids all relying on me; I have kids to watch with their safety in my hands, and I have a company that I work for. It feels as though I am in demand all the time. Everybody taking a little piece of Jourdan.

"I need a recharge!"

"Gimme those pieces back! They're mine!"

Sometimes I just need some "me time". I have yet to find the go-to me time activity...reading a book, blogging, running, playing the piano - I've tried it all. Those activities put me at about a half-battery recharge status. I still need to find the big kahuna of recharging. Possibly reading my bible. If only I could be more consistent with it.

I'm working on it :)

Rest is so important. It allows you to reflect on all you've done in the past, and gives you the perspective you need for the future. It's the part where God says,

"Hold on there a minute, why don't you just take a break for a bit? Talk to me..."

Why is it so hard for us to just relax for a little while - take our heads out of the game for a split second? The line between not busy and way too busy is blurred. For some people it is perfectly normal not to have a minute to themselves all day long. For others, a normal day means everyone around you knows that you are not up for sale and that you can't just give give give. I am the latter.

I'll work hard, but don't expect me to keep that smile plastered on my face for weeks on end without a break. I need breaks. I need time to plan. I need time to reset my head - my internal time clock.

So as I head off on this new adventure-of-a-life, I'm laughing and learning my way into time management skills. Maybe there is no perfect time management; maybe there never will be. Either way, I am trying. I will try to be the best me...for all of you. I'm still figuring out the best way to manage my busy schedule and still make time for rest. It is a learning curve for sure.

Thank you God for being patient with me - you always are.


"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:3 "God blesses those who are hungry and thirsty for justice, for they will receive it in full." - Matthew 5:6, NLT

2 comments:

Blasé said...

PREACH ON!, Sista...

..and go get some rest.

Penny said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU FOR KNOWING GRITS, lol!!!! They're one of my favorite bands. I especially love listening to them when I'm working out.

I understand and sympathize with the stress/rest. It never slows down, and I feel that with youth, everything just keeps going faster and faster because of the culture we live in.

All that to say...Go take a nap! =P

(I know, I know...easier said than done, lol.)