Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Where Our Paths Meet



So...I've had this thought on my mind for quite some time now. Since I was about 13 years old, as a matter of fact!! Do you know what it is?? Can you guess? I bet you could come up with a pretty good one, considering the age hint *wink wink*. Okay, okay, I'll tell you.

Where will I meet "the one"? Who is he? What color eyes will he have? How mysterious will he be? Will it be love at first sight?

All right, so I'm not really one to obsess over things like this, but...can you blame me? I've only been thinking about it since I was an adolescent girl, after I watched 'A Walk To Remember'. Oh, now THAT's a story to be told..........


I was about thirteen or fourteen years old, at my best friend's birthday party. She had been my loyal "bff" ever since we shared our cookies-to-be-shared-with-the-class on the bus on that fateful day of Kindergarten. We vowed we would only eat one...or two...or five...or the whole BAG! Yes, it was both of our birthdays and we ate ALL of the cookies right there on the bus. I guess you could say we had somewhat of a bond after that. We ran from the icky boys on the playground from that day until third or fourth grade, when they stopped being so icky (hehe). A couple of other things happened after that, including me switching schools, but we always remained the best of friends.

So this one particular year, our thirteenth (i think), she had a FABulous party at her mom's house with a halloween theme. It was epic. I had such a blast, and it was always nice to get to see my old bff. Her parents were divorced and she lived with her mom and two older sisters. Can you say girl party??? It was heaven for a blossoming preteen girl. We ate "mom's munchies", which consisted of super buttered popcorn, gummi worms, milk duds, sweet tarts, jawbreakers, and any other unhealthy snack we could find around the house. Her mom insisted it was the best snack known to man...or woman, i should say, and forced me to try it. It was SO good. Like, THIS good (hand motions expressing my adamant love for this particular munchie). Anyways, we ate mom's munchies and watched movies all night long. Like I said, epic.

But by the end of the night many of the girls had gone home because of basketball practice early the next morning, or because they weren't "allowed" to stay the night. I, however, had my sleeping bag all ready to go in front of the TV with a bowl of munchies conveniently six inches away from my hand. We watched a few movies I had already seen, and it was pretty fun...UNTIL. The final movie in the sugar crazed chick flick marathon...A Walk To Remember with Mandy Moore and that other guy. I hadn't seen it yet and couldn't wait to finally join the crowd of pre-teen girls all over the world, chatting about it, loving it, crying during it. So there I go, walking into my destiny as a real woman. Bff eventually fell asleep somewhere near the part where the movie title comes up on the screen at the very beginning, and I had the movie all to myself. Actually I think this was a good thing as it contributed to my ability to be free to cry and blubber all I wanted without being reminded of my pathetic-ness.



And cry and blubber, I did. I didn't know anything about the story and had no idea she was going to die of leukemia (sorry for the spoiler...if you haven't seen it yet, which all you women should at some point in your lives, just pretend you have no idea what's going to happen while watching it). But somehow, I was completely drawn into the romance between Landon Carter and Jamie Sullivan. It was the first of many chick flicks for me...Ever since that fateful night of munchies and french toast (yes, french toast at night) I was ruined for romance movies and novels. Well, not really romance movies per se, just the fact that I loved to watch someone else fall in love in a magical way and wish it was me.

So that was when it began. It was when I found out boys didn't have cooties, and that popcorn and candy was in fact the best combination you could ever put in your mouth.

ALLLLL that to say, I've been thinking about my whirlwind romance that I'll eventually have a lot lately. Probably because I've been a wee bit lonely in the new home/state as of late. It doesn't really matter why I'm thinking about it, I just am. Remember that last post where I told you all about what I wanted for my future?? Well I forgot one part. I want to fall in love. I'm still not so sure about the whole "having babies" part, but I'm sure I'll warm up to the thought of puking children and poop stains on the carpet eventually. No need to rush, I always say.

"Love is like the wind, you cannot see it but you can always feel it."


"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful."


Both characters were eighteen and still in high school when they fell in love...I'm seventeen. And graduating this year. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but I feel ready. Not necessarily for love, but for adventure. For going out on my own and finding myself. Perhaps I'll fall in love when I least expect it, when I'm traveling the world, just an unsuspecting girl caught up in a beautiful romance...Except for the whole dying of leukemia thing. That part doesn't have to happen :)

Who hasn't dreamed of being the character in their favorite movie?? See? I'm not crazy.

I may have a small case of wishful thinking, but definitely not crazy!!

No comments: